The key to combating psoriasis is proper disease management. Psoriasis is a chronic condition that waxes and wanes. Moisturizers play an integral role in safely managing the main symptoms of psoriasis.
Aim of Management
Psoriasis is considered to be a chronic condition for which there is no definitive cure. Long-term management requires that treatment measures can be carried out in the long-term, safely, and conveniently.
One important factor to consider is that the majority of psoriasis cases are considered mild, affecting less than 3% of the body's surface. Symptom management is usually straightforward in these mild cases. In managing mild psoriasis, the main goals are:
- Reduce itching.
- Reduce skin shedding or scaling.
- Improve visual appearance of plaques, particularly if visible areas of the skin are affected.
- Management strategies should be safe for long-term use.
Moisturizers help control psoriasis symptoms:
- Moisturizers strengthen the skin's barrier function, and provide it added protection.
- Moisturizers remove excess scaling that occurs in psoriasis, and reduces the chances of cracked skin.
- Visual improvement can be seen if the lesions are moisturized. This effect can last for several hours.
- Moisturizers can help quell itching.
- Regular moisturizing can minimize the chances of psoriasis flares.
- Moisturized skin feels better, especially in the affected areas of the skin which are typically dry.
Moisturizers are safe and reliable for daily use:
- Moisturizers do not contain any drugs which have negative interactions.
- Moisturizers can be used on a daily basis.
- Moisturizers do not lose effectiveness over time, as some medications do.
- Moisturizers interact well with other topical treatments for psoriasis.
- Moisturizers prepare the skin better to absorb other topical treatments.
The common ingredient in Ellgy plus, Ellgy ARR and Ezerra is Saccharide isomerate, a plant-derived carbohydrate complex that is highly substantive to skin and binds moisture like a water-magnet.
Ellgy plus, in addition, contains essential fatty acid rich extract of Portulaca oleracea to strengthen the skin barrier. Ellgy plus is indicated for dry cracked skin, especially on your joints.
Ellgy H2O ARR (Attract, Retain & Regulate) is fortified with another plant-derived active, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, to protect elastic fibres against enzymatic breakdown. It is ideal for those suffering from eczema, icthyosis (dry scaly skin) and winter xerosis (dry skin induced by cold dry weather).
Ezerra helps to relieve symptoms of dryness, itchiness and inflammation. It is recommended for mild to moderate cases of atopic dermatitis, particularly in infants and children. Its uniqueness is attributed to Stimutex AS - a synergistic combination of naturally occurring antioxidants, essential fatty acids, allantoin and phytosterols essential for the regeneration of the epidermal permeability barrier and the maintainence of the skin’s homeostasis. Furthermore, this extract from spent barley husks is able to block the release of inflammation markers e.g. cytokine and blocks histamine release to prevent itching and inflammation.