Friday, March 15, 2013

If you read obituaries as a hobby...


If you like reading obituaries, you are not alone..

Amy Hill Hearth justifies hers:

All writers have weird hobbies and one of mine is reading obituaries. When I travel, I make a point of buying a local paper and studying the obituary page. If I'm in a hurry I will take a quick look but return later to read each one carefully. Obituaries tell me everything I need to know about a town and its people. I love knowing that someone had a nickname. I think it's sweet when a beloved pet is listed among survivors. I study the faces in the photographs, especially when a youthful picture (wedding, Army, graduation) is published with the obituary of an older person. What was the person's life like? Did it turn out as he or she hoped? Sometimes there are clues but often the reader is left to wonder. It's a reminder that the old newsroom saying is true: Everyone's life tells a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment