Even everyday activities can strain stiff and inflamed arthritic joints.
The Arthritis Foundation offers these suggestions to help tame arthritis stiffness and pain:
- Avoid too many activities that hurt your joints. Use aids -- such as zipper pulls or jar openers -- to make such tasks easier.
- Try to lift with muscles and joints that are largest and strongest, and cause the least amount of pain.
- Don't stay in the same position for too long.
- Strike a good balance between physical activity and resting when you need it.
- Listen to pain as a sign that you've pushed yourself too hard, and take it easier next time.
- Get help from friends and family when faced with a challenge that's too tough.