Picture Credit: Eye-Exercises-for-Good-Vision.com
Here’s how to use eyedrops efficiently:
- Wash hands first.
- To avoid contamination, be careful not to touch the dropper tip or let it touch your eye or any other surface.
- Bend your head back, gaze upward and pull down the lower eyelid to form a pocket.
- Place dropper directly over eye and administer one drop, or the prescribed number of drops.
- Look downward and gently close your eye for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place one finger at the corner of the eye near the nose and apply gentle pressure. This will prevent the medication from draining away from the eye.
- Try not to blink and do not rub the eye.
- Repeat in the other eye if the drop is prescribed for both eyes.
- Do not rinse the dropper.
- If you are prescribed two different eye drop to be used at the same time of day, wait at least five minutes before applying the second drop into an eye. This allows the first drop to 'settle in' and not be washed out by a second drop if it is put in too quickly.