|Picture credit: www.theawesomer.com|
Take a Walk!
But make sure you don't overdo it
Walking is a great form of cardiovascular exercise and amusement that requires very little equipment. But the American Council on Exercise (ACE) warns new walkers to start slowly and not to overdo it.
Here are the council's recommendations:
- Start out with a short walk of about five minutes. Then gradually increase your time and distance.
- Don't walk too quickly; stick to a comfortable pace.
- Practice proper posture, with your head up and shoulders relaxed.
- Allow your arms to swing naturally.
- Breathe deeply, and slow down if you can't catch your breath.
- Don't move so vigorously that you can't talk while you're walking.