Keep skin moisturized
Eczema is a chronic condition that makes the skin red, dry and itchy.
The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests how to prevent flares of eczema:
- Stay away from irritants such as harsh soaps, detergents, gasoline and cleaning solutions.
- Wear clothing made of cotton, and avoid wool and synthetic fabrics that can irritate the skin.
- Take short, lukewarm baths or showers and wash with a mild cleanser. Avoid hot water.
- Pat skin dry after a bath or shower and immediately apply moisturizer.
- Make sure you moisturize your skin every day. Avoid scratching your skin.
- Avoid getting very sweaty or overheating.
- Find ways to control stress.